December 24, 2004

The prologue

I told Joycey that by reflecting and writing down, it gives me a good closure on a year. It sorta tells me that I wasn't just flowing in this stream of life meaninglessly. It helps to justify my existence, in a way. My existence as a thinking, feeling and effective person. The existence that I've been blessed with, but that I know will someday, be not mine to order. Before that happens,

Whispers from 2004...1

~~v~~ On friendship ~~v~~

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather is one of those things that give value to survival." - C.S. Lewis

Every year, there is no escape from this theme. Thank Whoever for that.

You know one of those emails that you and I often receive that repeats the same things about friends and love? At least, one of them is very true. That we may not remember every friend that we've had but we will always remember how they made us feel.

Mel refused to say goodbye to me during our last mrt trip together after work. She told me she was very sure we will meet soon cos I'm not a colleague to her, but a friend. Of course I remember that. It's one of the most touching things I heard from a friend.

Joycey told me over msn that it's ok not to be strong at a time when I still didn't see the joke that life has pulled on me. It means more to me than she intended.

Annie went to Snow's b'day BBQ, with no purpose to make me feel inspired and motivated by her active and positive lifestyle. Yet I felt that way. Then on, I felt more connected to her than before.

Special mention of Snow here. Last new year's eve, when we were definitely less 'chummy' than we have been this year, we sat facing the green field of Marina Bay, with Jeri, waiting for Annie, nodding in agreement that we should all do something crazy every year. I think I passed the test when I realised I could dial his number without referring to my phonebook.

~~v~~ On friendship ~~v~~

I think people who say they don't know how to make friends are so not justified. It's so easy to make friends. But, how to keep friends? Even harder, how to grow friends?

Maintaining a friendship requires effort, much more so to grow a friendship. This year, I learnt from some friends, that it's so easy to forget the maintenance on keeping friends when you are in a romantic relationship. They say that it's hard to make and keep friends as you grow older. I say that it's about time management.

The more advanced the technology, the less time we can make for our friends. What crap is that?

I also learnt that the relief one gets from forgiving a friend is worth the disillusioning wait. We don't expect things to be the same as before, but we can build a new friendship when hurt and pain is turned into forgiveness and acceptance.

Have a place for your friends in your mind and heart. Don't wait for Christmas or their birthdays. And don't wait till you need them to label your xbf as a jerk.

As for me, Whoever knows I'm always trying. Erm, at least for that top 10%. hehe

Posted by 杏 cy (Jancy) at 11:36